There are lives, like Giulia’s, destined to be lived uphill, but there are little angels, like Giulia, who amaze us day after day with their fortitude, their peaceful smile and deep gaze.
In 2004 Giulia was struck down by an oncological illness and she taught those close to her how to deal with the physical pain that chemotherapy causes; she taught those around her how one can give, in silence, a strong meaning to life.
On September 7th 2005 Giulia became an angel.
WHO WE ARE AND WHAT WE DO
We are a group of volunteers who, since 1996, have focused their activities on projects aimed at supporting children affected by cancer.
Our mission is to support professionals such as: Psycho-Oncologist, Pediatrician-Oncologist and Music Therapist, who welcome and support in any way possible young patients and their families during the difficult path of the disease.
These activities take place in the Pediatric Onco-Hematology Unit and Pediatric Clinic of the University Hospital Arcispedale S. Anna in Cona, Ferrara, and our psychological consultations are also active in the Ferrara Local Health Authority Units in Cento, Lagosanto and Argenta supporting healthy children who are dealing with the disease or mourning the loss of a parent to cancer.
HOW WE NURTURE OUR MISSION
We promote and finance our projects with stands and booths, concerts, sporting events, cultural events, conventions and with the recital “An Angel named Julia”, our most important annual appointment.
You too can do a lot by promoting and participating in our initiatives.
• Psychological diagnosis
• Psychological support during illness and care (personal or of a family member)
• Help during the grieving process
• Psychological counseling for parents, family members, teachers, health workers and volunteers Cancer, should it affect a child or a family member, threatens the natural right to life and growth of kids and/or young people, together with their respective families.
To be able to face this complex situation it can be useful for the whole family to share their experiences with a psychologist.
Music therapy courses can be carried out both at an educational-preventive level and at a rehabilitative-therapeutic level.
Supporting the course of the disease from a psychological point of view, facilitating expressive processes and regulating emotions is the main purpose of the therapeutic intervention, which can produce important results on the reduction of psychological and physical symptoms as well as on the general improvement of the quality of life .
In addition to our projects, we have promoted and supported fundraisings aimed at donating to the pediatric oncology unit:
– two oximeters to be used in the pediatric oncology unit and pediatric clinic (2015-2018)
– a stretcher-taxi
– a pediatric ultrasound scanner
– three wheelchairs for patient transport
– a pediatric ambulance with Voghiera Soccorso (2015)
– one Sure Signs Vs4 monitor for vital signs (2014)
– cheerful and colorful furnishings for our young hospitalized patients (2014)
– a pediatric defibrillator
– an electrocardiograph
See on https://www.associazionegiulia.com/le-nostre-donazioni/
Every year we also support a pediatric-themed medical conference in a medical-hospital collaboration, we organize a party in the ward with gifts and surprises for our little patients at Christmas and Easter, together with many friends, sportsmen, companies, sponsors and schools.
We also never forget our elderly patients, often too lonely and in need of attention. We encourage activities on educational continuity, theater labs, global emotional support, so that our children can continue their studies and can reclaim their daily routine.